2016 Top 10 Most Cited Safety Violation in USA (Summary source: OSHA website and Safety and Health Magazine article)
- Fall Protection,
- Hazard Communication (Chemical safety),
- Respirator Protection, and
- LockOUT/TagOUT (Electric Safety).
The Top 10 Serious violation and Willful violations lists are also shown (below at right).
- A “serious” violation is deﬁned by OSHA as “one in which there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result, and the employer knew or should have known of the hazard.” The penalty for a serious violation is $12,675 per violation with additional of $12,675 per day per violation for delay in correcting the safety deficiency.
- OSHA deﬁnes a “willful” violation as one “committed with an intentional disregard of or plain indifference to the requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Act and requirements.” The penalty for a serious violation is $126,749 per violation plus the addition of $12,675 per day per violation for delay in correcting the safety deficiency.