Description / Purpose:
The purpose of this page is to provide analytical x-ray safety training to those NMSU employees who operate analytical X-ray machines in research laboratories. This training consists of completing an exam which covers analytical x-ray safety topics that may include:
- Overview of NMSU Radiation Safety Program requirements for analytical x-rays
- Applicable State and Federal regulations
- Fundamentals of radiation safety with an emphasis on x-rays
- Radiation terminology & units
- Biological effects
- ALARA principles
- Exposure control
- Engineering, Administrative & Procedural Controls
- Warning Labels & Signage
- Emergency procedures
- Record keeping requirements.
To receive credit, complete the Analytical X-Ray Exam listed below. Please email the exam to the Radiation Safety Manager at email@example.com, or you may send the exam via campus mail to Radiation Safety, MSC 3578. Please check Training Central for your score. To pass the exam you must score 80% or higher. This is an “open-book” exam meaning you can use any reference materials you choose including the NMSU Radiation Safety Manual.
Links to the exam and key program documents / reference training materials are below: