The EPA regulated Agricultural Worker Protections Standard (WPS) is aimed at reducing the risk of pesticide poisoning and injury among agricultural workers and pesticide handlers. The WPS requires that NMSU perform the following for its employees:
- Provide protections to agricultural workers and handlers from potential pesticide exposure.
- Train agricultural workers and handlers about pesticide safety
- Provide mitigations in the event and exposure may occur.
The Worker Protection Standard must be addressed whenever pesticide products are used on agricultural establishments for the commercial or research production of agricultural plants. Pesticide applicators fall into the category of pesticide handlers in this regulation. This includes all effected University employees, including full-time, part-time, and work study. Please click on the link below to register for required training. Our schedule of classes may also be found under the Training Tab on the EH&S Webpage.
For additional training & resources on the Worker Protection Standard, please use the following links:
- Quick Reference Guide Brochure: Federal Version (PDF)
- US EPA – Worker Protection Standard Webpage
- Worker Protection Standard Training – Pesticide Worker
- Worker Protection Standard Training – Pesticide Handler