National Bike Month 2012 Activities
LAS CRUCES AREA ACTIVITIES Much of the following information was provided by members of the Messilla Valley Bicycle Coaliton (Contact email email@example.com)
- All month - Share the Road Las Cruces - Visibility Rides
- All month - Get Up & Ride National Challenge for May.
- May 2: Dona Ana County Proclamation of May as National Bicycle Month
- May 4: Fix-A-Flat Day for Mesilla Elementary students by the Las Cruces Optimist Club.
- May 4: Southwest Environmental First Friday Free Film Series. 8:00pm at SWEC. Will show films: We Are Traffic and One Got Fat.
- May 5: Bike Safety Rodeo for the students of Desert Hills Elementary from 10:00am to noon by John Curnutt as part of his BSA Eagle Scout Project.
- May 7: City of Las Cruces Bike Month Proclamation. 1:00pm at City Council.
- May 8: Mesilla Elementary Bike to School Day. 7:30am meet at the Plaza. Las Cruces/NM MPO Safe Routes to School Facebook page
- May 8: Dona Ana County Bike Month Proclamation. 9:00am Doña Ana Commission Chambers, Dona Ana County Calendar.
- May 9: Bike to School day. Various schools in the area. The list of participating schools can be found at http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/go/whos-biking/2012.
- May 11: Mesilla Park Elementary Bike 123 education event for 4th &; 5th grade.
- May 14: Visibility Ride 7:05am from the Railroad Museum. This is the regular monthly ride. Departure time: 7:15 a.m. sharp If you can't make the ride come join us for coffee at Starbucks, we should be arrive around 7:30 a.m. We ask that all bicyclists follow the rules of the road and that all participants wear helmets.
- May 16: Ride of Silence. The 2012 Ride of Silence, Mesilla NM, will depart from the Mesilla Plaza at 6:30pm on May 16, 2012. Riders should arrive ready to ride no later than 6:15pm. The route will tour approximately 9.5 miles through Mesilla and parts of Las Cruces at a slow pace (not greater than 12 miles per hour). More . . . ROS Poster . . .
ROS rides in New Mexico have been posted at www.rideofsilence.org
BICYCLING ADVOCACY ORGANIZATIONS
- Mesilla Valley Bicycle Coalition is a grassroots advocacy organization that promotes a greater understanding of bicycle safety and bicycling as a means of transportation, exercise and recreation. (Contact email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The NM Cycling Organization provides a listing on New Mexico bicycling clubs at http://www.nmcycling.org/clubs.html
OTHER ORGANIZATION LINKS
- Bike and Chowder Club in Las Cruces, NM
- League of American Bicyclists National Bicycle advocacy
- Bikes Belong at http://www.bikesbelong.org/bikes-belong-foundation/
- Bike Riudoso Cycling in Riudoso, NM
- Southeast NM Cycling at http://www.senmcycling.org/