National Bike Month 2010, Celebration Events in Las Cruces
I. Join a short, easy FunCycle Neighborhood Ride sponsored by the MVBC, City of Las Cruces and Metropolitan Planning Organization, and Caliche’s Frozen Custard:
1. May 5, Wednesday, 6 PM, Start and End Place: Young Park,
Easy ride of about 5 miles, using the Solano bike lane and stopping for a group photo at the City’s new educational billboard. Join and maybe see yourself in the newspaper! (May 5 Sun News Article)
2. May 12, Wednesday, 6 PM, Start and End Place: Downtown Mall parking lot, west side, near Zeffiro's,
Easy ride of about 4 miles. Take a leisurely tour of Downtown Las Cruces, Historic Mesquite and the Alameda Depot District
3. May 26, Wednesday, 6 PM, Start and End Place: Hillrise Elementary
Easy short ride on the East Mesa. Ride with your children in the shadow of the Organ Mountains and learn about Safe Routes to Schools.
Ride rules: All riders must obey all traffic laws and follow the rules of the road. All riders under 18 required by law to wear a helmet. Helmets strongly recommended for all riders. Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Bike carriers/trailers, tandems, or tag-along bikes recommended for children under 12.
II. Get on your bike, be seen, raise awareness, while meeting other cyclists on your way to work.
1. May 11, Tuesday, early morning, Share the Road Las Cruces Visibility Ride
Check start locations and times at www.VisibilityRide.blogspot.com sponsored by MVBC
III. Build your cycling skills and confidence by taking a bicycle education class:
1. May 15, Saturday, Traffic Skills 101, Contact: email@example.com (space is limited)
IV. RIDE OF SILENCE, join cyclists worldwide in a silent slow-paced ~10 mile ride (max. 12 mph) in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways (www.rideofsilence.org):
1. May 19, Wednesday, RIDE OF SILENCE, Mesilla, Gather at 6:00 p.m. at the
Mesilla Plaza Announcement Flyer
V. Ride your bicycle to work or school: May 21 Announcement Flyer
1. May 21, Friday, NATIONAL BIKE TO WORK DAY, 7:30 AM. to 8:30 AM City Hall
Gather for coffee and bagels and a celebration lap around the downtown mall.
2. May 21, Friday, NATIONAL BIKE TO WORK DAY, 3 PM. to 7 PM. Albert Johnson Park (just north of City Hall)
Party with food, prizes, bike rodeo for kids, repair workshops and more. sponsored by the City of Las Cruces
VI. Visit the monthly Children’s Bicycle Safety activity:
1. May 30, Sunday, May 30, 10 AM to 2 PM, Ciclovia, Young Park (in the parking lot)
Thanks to Cindy L. Robbins, New Mexico State University .646.2959, for this list of May celebration events
NMSU Bicycle Safety