Skip navigation.
Safety Training                

Current Training Class Schedule

Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) provides training to help improve the working environment of NMSU employees as well as ensure compliance with regulations related to safety, health and environment protection. Except for Defensive Driving these classes are free.  

Checklists of required training and documents by work area can be viewed via the  following links

  (Lab and research areas)         (Non-lab areas)

The following and attached links provide a class list and short description, class content, scheduling, registration and answers to frequently asked questions.  If you have more questions or environmental, health or safety concerns please call 646-3327, email, or visit EH&S.

Frequently Asked
 Trained & Fit

Frequently Asked Training Questions

Q - What classes are available from EH&S?

Q - What training classes and documentation do I need for a laboratory area?

Q - What training do we need for a non-lab areas?

Q - What are these classes and who should attend them?

Q - When are the classes scheduled?

Q - Who is required to attend the chemical safety classes?

Q - How often does EH&S offer the Employee & Hazard Communication Class?

Q - Who should attend classes on the Lab Standard regulations?

Q - What safety training have I or my employees had?

Q - My lab manager has Nobel Prizes for hazard communication and lab safety. 

Q - Does she still need to attend class on HazCom and Lab Standard?

Q - Do we have to attend the classes given by University Safety? It's too inconvenient for off-campus employees to attend these classes.

(Other safety questions)

gototop.jpg (908 bytes)

What classes are available from EH&S?


EH&S provides information and instruction for the NMSU community on issues related to safety, health and environment.  Click here for a complete list and outline description of available classes.  A short description of regularly scheduled classes is given below.(Schedule) (To Register

  gototop.jpg (908 bytes)

What are the typical classes and who should attend them?


Employee & Hazard Communication Safety (HazCom) This class is required for all employees (full or part time).  It provides employees with general information and University requirements on environmental, health and safety issues. Employees are informed of the need and requirements to comply with state and federal regulations related to the workplace, as well as with University EH&S programs. It covers the OSHA requirements for the University Hazardous Communication Program and provides section on environmental considerations for waste disposal (Hazardous waste awareness) This introductory class covers the regulations, protective measures, and basic information required to protect the employee and help keep the university in compliance with its obligations.  (More information) (Schedule) (To Register)


Hazardous Waste Management - This course provides employees with information on the disposal of NMSU's hazardous chemicals and other regulated waste. Topics include waste regulations, chararacterics of hazardous and regulated waste, satellite accumulation points, waste tracking forms, and chemical redistribution.  This class should be of interest to employees that work in areas that produce spent material containing chemicals, blood, human body fluids or infectious agents.The Hazard Communication Class is a prerequisite. (More information) (Schedule) (To Register)


Laboratory Standard (Lab. Std.).  This class is directed at researchers, staff, Chemical Hygiene Officers, lab managers, and individuals working in laboratories that meet OSHA's laboratory definition.  It covers the regulations, the Chemical Hygiene Plan and additional safety requirements for laboratory workers. Annual refresher training is required after the initial Lab Standard. The Hazard Communication Class is a prerequisite (More information) (Schedule) (To Register


Radiation Safety classes are provided for radiation permittees and users under the permittee's authority as well as for Chemical Hygiene Officers. Radiation Safety  is on the regular monthly training schedule and covers x-ray and sealed sources, in addition to all other types of radioactive materials used on campus as well as basic rad waste management. Radiation Safety covers basics, regulations, and safety principles. Nuclear Gauge training, a radiation safety class specifically on the use of nuclear guages, is also offered once a semester. (More information) (Schedule) (To Register


Bloodborne Pathogens class is required by those individuals that have exposure/contact with human blood, internal body fluids, unfixed tissues, or other potential human infectious materials as well as contact with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV) or other bloodborne pathogens. Typically this includes custodians, plumbers, health care providers, EMTs, laboratory researcher working with these materials and Chemical Hygiene Officers.  Bloodborne Refresher training is required annually for each employee or student whose work meets the above criteria and has routine potential exposure. The “routine potential for exposure” at NMSU is defined as working with these materials more than once per month. (More information)  (Schedule) (To Register)


Biosafety Awareness training is required for faculty, staff and students identified on an IBC application for approval to work at BSL-2. Completion of Hazard Communication training is the prerequisite to registering for Laboratory Biosafety Awareness training. Documentation of IBC approval will not be released until all persons have completed the Laboratory Biosafety Awareness training.


Respiratory Safety and Fit Testing is required annually for all employees using respirators (includes dust masks with N/R/P95, HEPA or NIOSH designations).  A medical evaluation sheet must be completed at least two weeks prior to initial training class.  (More information) (Schedule) (To Register)

Defensive Driving Class (DDC) is required to drive a University Vehicle.  Be prepared to give your full name, address,  date of birth, a current/valid driver's license number, and a department account number ($$).  In addition to the Defensive Driving Class, prospective drivers of University vehicles are required to provide (or authorize a review of) their driving history information.  Individuals must bring their current driver's license and a pencil to class.  ( More information) (Schedule) (To Register


Other Safety Classes: Office Ergonomics; Ladder Safety, Confined Space, Lifting Safety, Fall Protection, LockoutTagOut, Electric Safety, Emergency Preparedness/Action Planning, Forklift Driving/Operation,....

Additional information on required training and documentation by work area type is given on the following links (Lab and research areas)  (Non-lab areas)


  (Training Schedule) (Safety Question List) 


gototop.jpg (908 bytes) 


Who is required to attend chemical Safety (Hazcom) classes?


All personnel that work with or have chemicals in their work area are required by law and NMSU policy to receive training on Hazard Communication upon employment, and to receive additional training on specific hazardous chemical from their supervisor and as new chemicals are introduced into their workplace.  (details on who is covered)  (also see employee training)

(Other safety questions) (Schedule) (To Register)

  gototop.jpg (908 bytes) 


How often does EH&S offer classes on the hazard communication regulations?


These classes are offered monthly. 

 (Other safety questions) (Schedule) (To Register

  gototop.jpg (908 bytes)



When are the other classes scheduled?


Click here for the list of training dates  


(Other safety questions) (Schedule) (To Register)

  gototop.jpg (908 bytes)



My lab manager has Nobel Prizes for hazard communication and lab safety.  Does she still need to attend class on HazCom and Lab Standard?


Yes. OSHA requires that all affected employees receive training by their employer.  EH&S provides awareness classes on the regulations, training on safe practices, documentation to supervisors and is the designated OSHA contact.  In order to qualify for funding, most research grants require compliance with Federal, State and local regulations on environment, health and safety.  These classes satisfy a component of the requirements.  

 (Other safety questions) (Schedule) (To Register)

  gototop.jpg (908 bytes)




How do I find the records of safety training that I or my employees have had?

Click here to search for a listing of your recording records or the following link for a listing of employee training by department.  

(Other safety questions) (Schedule) (To Register)

  gototop.jpg (908 bytes)

Do we have to attend the classes given by University Safety? It's too inconvenient for off-campus employees to attend these classes. 


No, if you are at an off-campus branch, college, experimental center or other off-campus NMSU facility, you don't have to attend a session given by EH&S. "Designated Coordinators" for the area can provide the training on the regulations. These coordinators must attend a train-the-trainer session at EH&S and thereafter provide the specific training.  However they will need to cover the specified topics in same manner as EH&S, determine attendee performance, and provide documentation to EH&S and the area supervisors or safety coordinator(s). 


EH&S provides most classes on a monthly basis (some are biweekly) and can schedule additional classes at our training facility for groups of 6 or more persons.


Please note that under the Right-To-Know law (Hazcom) & common legal obligations, supervisors must also provide information and/or ensure training on the specific workplace hazards to employees when the employees begin new procedures, use a new hazardous material or begin operations involving new or hazardous work conditions.


(Other safety questions) (Schedule) (To Register)

gototop.jpg (908 bytes) 


Site Meter