Halloween can be a fun time for kids and parents alike. Make trick-or-treating safe for the whole family with a few easy tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
- Use a battery-operated candle or glow stick in jack-o’-lanterns.
- When choosing costumes, stay away from long trailing fabric.
- Teach children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o’-lanterns with candles in them.
- Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper catch fire easily. Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.
- Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes. Make sure all smoke alarms are working.
For more information, visit nfpa.org/halloween.