It is always important to be safe while driving. New Mexico State University’s Police Department would like to remind you to be extra cautious out on the road during these holiday months. Typically, there are more drivers you will be sharing the roads with and higher possibility of hazardous road conditions.
Here are some tips to help you and yours stay safe. Share them with friends!
- Check your vehicle before you go: Tire pressure, tire tread, windshield wipers, wiper fluid, radiator fluid, oil, lights, etc.
- Leave early. Give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.
- Don’t drive with an attitude. If you are upset, pull over and cool down or better yet, let someone else drive.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Don’t use your cellphone while driving. Pull off the road if you need to use it. Driving requires your full attention.
- Keep your eyes on the road at all times. Stay fresh and alert.
- Use extreme caution in work zones! Keep your speed down.
- Keep your windshield and lights clean.
- Know when to use your bright lights.
- Pull over and stop your vehicle if you do not feel comfortable driving in bad weather conditions.
- Be flexible in your driving plans.