There is something comforting about the winter months and curling up with a good book by the fireplace. But did you know that heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths? With a few simple safety tips and precautions you can prevent most heating fires from happening.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
- Always use the right kind of fuel for fuel burning space heaters
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying out
- Ashes should be cool, put them in a metal container and keep it a safe distance away from your house
- Never use your oven to heat your home
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month
For more tips on how to keep your family safe from fire-related injuries, visit the National Fire Protection Association website.