Article provide to EH&S by ASSE member.
In January of 2003,
An employee arrived at the Greensport Yard in Houston to find the field office full of smoke. Investigation led him to a melted down surge protector (see photos – click to enlarge).
The manufacturer was contacted to see if similar incidents have occurred with this product. They stated that the surge protector had absorbed all of the energy it was capable of absorbing and melted down as a result. The surge protectors involved were not on a recall list.
An office by office search revealed another surge protector, of the same brand and model as above, that was starting to melt down (see attached photos)