NMSU Driving Permits

To drive university vehicles (owned, rented, leased or loaned) all drivers must have both a current, valid State of New Mexico Drivers License and a NMSU Driving Permit, issued by EHS&RM.

Note: This requirement does not apply to golf carts, utility carts, sod vehicles or similar vehicles that travel under 20 mph.  Please see NMSU Utility Cart Safety Program for requirements. 

Obtaining a NMSU Driving Permit

Complete Driver License Check Authorization and attend an EHS&RM-approved, 4-hour Defensive Driving Course

  1. Submit completed Driver's License Check Authorization Form to EHS&RM at ehs@nmsu.edu.

  2. Complete 4-hour National Safety Council Defensive Driving Course below and submit Certificate of Completion to EHS&RM at ehs@nmsu.edu.

  3. Alternatively, complete the Driver's License Check Authorization Form and send proof of recent attendance at a nationally sanctioned defensive driving course to EHS&RM.  Proof must include documentation of class attendance, provider, class type, class description, and date.

Instructions for accessing the National Safety Council Defensive Driving Course

Course fee is $49.94 (can be paid using department p-card)

  1. Go to the National Safety Council website.

  2. Select Individual on the next page and check the box for the DDC Online, 4-hour (English or Spanish) course then scroll down and select Continue then Go to Checkout.

  3. Fill out the form and select the Place Your Order button.

  4. Follow the online instructions on how to complete the course.

  5. Send a copy of the Certificate of Completion along with this completed form to EHS&RM at ehs@nmsu.edu.

The driving permit will be sent to employee within 5 days after EHS&RM receives the training certificate and driver license history check.

Have a valid United States issued driver’s license

  1. New Mexico State Statutes requires individuals to obtain a New Mexico driver’s license within 30 days of establishing residence.

  2. Prospective drivers must agree to a motor vehicle records check, initially and every 3 years.

  3. Out of state license holders may be required to provide a certified copy of their driving history if NMSU is unable to obtain the driver history.

  4. If the driver’s license expires before 3 years, a driver permit will only be issued until the date of license expiration, at which time another driver history check will be performed before the permit is renewed.

Maintain a good driving record.

  1. Any employee, student, or volunteer who receives a traffic citation for driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs, or fails to obey any applicable traffic laws while driving or occupying a state vehicle may result in suspension or revocation of their university driving privileges. 

NOTE:  Any individual driving a NMSU vehicle must immediately notify their supervisor and EHS&RM if their driving license is suspended or revoked.

Adhere to the NMSU Vehicle Use Procedures.

Permits must be renewed every 3 years.

1. A new Driver's License Check Authorization Form must be submitted to EHS&RM before the renewal permit is issued.

Temporary Driving Permits

A one-time temporary Driver Permit may be requested by an employee to perform duties for up to 30 days.

  1. Submit a completed Driver's License Check Authorization Form to EHS&RM at ehs@nmsu.edu.
  2. Students and volunteers are not allowed temporary permits.

  3. A driver license history check must be performed before temporary permit is issued.

  4. The permit will be issued within 5 days after review of driving history.

  5. Temporary permits are valid for 30 days.  A (30) thirty-day extension on the Temporary Driving Permit can be granted if the initial (30) thirty-day limit is not be sufficient time to acquire a Defensive Driving Training Certificate.

  6. Temporary permits may not be used to chauffeur other employees, students or visitors.

Driver Permit Fees

  1. Fee Description Fee Amount

    Defensive Driving Course

    (National Safety Council)


    Driver License History Check

    (required for both initial and renewal permits)